At lunchtime yesterday, I was making my own turkey and cheese sandwich while Ian sat in front of his plate, with a Peanutbutter and Jelly Sandwich, Broccoli and Ranch. In my opinion, this was a magical combination. I had even cut the sandwich into a dinosaur shape.As I hungrily grabbed the Turkey out of the fridge, I hear a "nooope."
"Yes, Ian?" I asked.
"Prpfjsh," Ian said. He likes to keep me guessing, which I assume is the reason he still isn't saying full sentences. Its a game.
"How ya doin' on that yummy sandwich?" I asked him.
"Nooope."
And so, our conversation continued, with lots of whines (from both of us) and some stern words. At one point, I stopped in my tracks, as I said "Be thankful I made you ANYTHING, Ian." I felt like as I said it... well, I don't know how to describe it.
I've always known God speaks to me in audible whispers. Especially when he's HAD IT with me and I'm just not listening. This time, I heard him speaking the exact same words to me as I was saying them to Ian. "Be thankful for what I've given you," God said to me.
I stopped, and listened. Again, the words came out of my mouth, almost yelling at Ian "BE THANKFUL!" And it felt like God was just YELLING at me.
I don't need any more than what I have. Biblically, as long as we have forgiveness and some daily bread, we don't need anything more. I have my daily bread, coffee, family, occasional sweets, etc. I don't need more. I have a car that WORKS. I have a warm place to sleep, and to protect my kids on cold days. I don't need anything more. I even have internet and a TV. I honestly sometimes want to THROW them out the window (the second story window), and cancel our fancy Comcast-ness.
My prayer lately has been "Lord please make me satisfied," and I think I'm getting there.
2 comments:
thanks for your thought's! it seems like everytime I read your blog you've written something I need to hear. I hate being content when I don't have everything I want, but I have to remember that there are some who don't even have the basics of living and I need to be happy with what I have been given. we don't just have it because, we have what we have because God has given it to us. I am thankful it's jsut hard to not always want more :)... good everday leason to work on huh?
Kelly,
Thank you for your thoughts and as a mom, I have been where you were with Ian. Always a sobering thing when God speaks to us as we are speaking to others.
Regarding your post on being dependent on God and others...I would love to sit down with you over a cup of coffee and share my thoughts and what I have learned over the years ~ if you want to.
If you want to get together, give me a couple of times that will work for you and we'll have a coffee klatch chat.
Alice
PS You are a GREAT Mom to your little ones!
Post a Comment