I am driven by music. I said this in an earlier post, but sometimes I forget how true this statement really is. I have a song memory for every stage in life. Every boyfriend (unfortunately), my close friends, places I have visited, and sometimes even food or a restaurant has a song that goes along with it. My memory is exponentially enhanced by the music that runs through me.
As I sat down tonight to blog, naturally I opened up Pandora. The first song that started playing was "How Great is Your Love" by MercyMe. Interesting, how the flood of emotions, memories, images, even smells come back listening to this particular song. And almost instantly, my mind (and a piece of my heart) went back to a single moment in 2001, and "Ocean" by Ten Shekel Shirt started pouring through my head.
I spent the summer after my freshman year in college up at Lakeside Bible Camp on Whidbey Island. I was on staff as the Program Assistant, running games, doing random jobs for various people, and running around in the chicken suit occasionally. I also managed to get spanked with an omelet-covered spatula because I was teasing the cook. I was pretty much the camp gopher for an entire summer. While this completely messed with my need for a consistent workout routine in between college soccer seasons, it was quite possibly one of the most memorable summers in my small existence.
One day the staff headed out to play on the local playground, one of those castle structures FULL of tag and sardines potential. If anyone tries to tell you 20-year-olds are too old for playing a little sardines on the playground in mid-daylight, I am now proving you wrong. I remember about a handful of us fit into the large tire, and I think I remember someone hurting their ankle at some point, but I can't remember who it was.
As we drove out of the parking lot, Nicole was driving, I was shotgun, and Erin, Sarah, and either Joel or Cory were in the backseat. The song "Ocean" came on and I think I remember we all went quiet and listened to the lyrics. Someone remarked afterward that it was her new favorite song. Funny, I bet that person has moved onto to different songs and different music. But my snapshot will always hold still that song, and that moment.
I will never forget that summer, those images... from random nights out driving around the island, to late-night canoe rides and deep-sinking with grapes and root-beer, to having Narnia right in our very own closet, MercyMe and Ten Shekel Shirt. I also need to track down our silly staff video with me getting hit by a large rubber ball... actually two.
Click. :)
1 comment:
Thanks so much for posting this! It took me right back to that summer :) And... "Ocean" was the song Kelly and I danced to at our wedding, a little slow for a dance, but we loved the words.
Post a Comment