No, not the big crazy buildings with towers and shiny objects... I'm talking about our bodies.
The notion of "our bodies are our temples" has been on my mind a lot lately. It comes to mind every time I have a glass of wine, every time I eat a delicious cinnamon roll, and every night I don't sleep well.
God wants us to always be mentally AND physically ready and capable of doing his will. We're always supposed to be alert, and ready for whatever comes our way. Right now, I'd say my alertness factor is only possible with a cup of coffee (with French Vanilla Coffeemate).
I have been having a hard time with this, and this next statement may seem judgmental... but its more of an open-ended hypothetical than a judgment call on anyone. It seems like even the most committed, strong Christians make decisions and poor choices that negatively influence this whole "bodies are our temples" concept. And I will be the first to admit I am one of them.
I love a glass of wine or beer, but do I need a second one? or a third?
I love sweets and all things indulgent, but do I need one? or for that matter, what does God think when I put those kinds of things into my body, which He intended to be strong and fit?
The lack of sleep thing with small kids is inevitable, but I COULD help myself by NOT watching TV till 10pm and going to bed an hour earlier.
On one hand, I know God meant for us to enjoy this life. NOT to the fullest, in the hedonistic, greedy way though. He meant for us to enjoy the beauty of what's around us, enjoy our relationships, and enjoy doing things that please Him.
So where do we cut off the hedonistic side of us? Where is the line? How do we treat our bodies as temples in this self-indulgent world?
9 comments:
These are good thoughts Kelly. Actually stuff I've been pondering lately. I'm doing a Beth Moore Bible study about the fruit of the Spirit and currently studying self control...there have been A LOT of convictions lately. Thanks for keeping me thinking about it all!
This has also been on my mind lately. Eating healthy and working out has been a new development with me :)
My modivation is not just because It's what were called to do, but the healthier I am the better equipped I am to take care of my family...
All that to say, I do have my (many) days of stuffing my mouth with what ever sweet thing I can find because my bodie is not used to the lack of sugar intake that I'm trying to stick to... I will always have those days,(and I think that's fine) but it's good to keep them in moderation :)
Good food for thought Kel!
Moderation is a huge piece of this pie. :) I don't think God gets sad or upset when he sees us eating a cinnamon roll. However, it's a different story once your body becomes a hinderance to what God has planned.
Good stuff! =) love hearing your thoughts!
I have given up so much these past few months in hope to help my health...it has had it's hard moments, but over all-I wouldn't trade it all back for anything. I feel so much better and I love now that my body isn't dependant on caffine or sweets to get me going...kind of nice.
Coffee sure does smell good though....ummmm...maybe one day I'll have a cup again...when my body is working much better! =)
Kelly, great thoughts and in fact, our sermon tomorrow is on the temple of God.
Thanks for the clear reminders to do things in moderation and not to binge or over do.
Keep sharing your thoughts, they are so encouraging.
Guess what? The most committed, strong Christians have just as many flaws as anyone else. I'm sick of juvenile christians putting others on pedestals or negatively judging them because they appear more committed and strong as compared to others. Being a Christian is not about a checklist of behaviors that makes God happy, i.e. how many times a week you read your bible, or how many cinnamon rolls you've had. The fact is those "committed, strong christians" are as FLAWED as you and I are. It takes some growing up to realize that.
Hi Anonymous.
I am not sure if you even know me. And I believe you have completely missed the point of my post.
Do you know I am strong Christian, but moreover, just a plain, flawed, but committed follower of Christ? Let's start with that, because from your reponse, I am not sure you knew that. Maybe your wording came across as more harsh than you intended.
I am not being too hard on myself.
I am not judging others.
I am not comparing good/bad decisions in my life with others around me.
I am SIMPLY posing a concept. Because that is what blogs are for.
Did you really intend to insult me by calling me a juvenile Christian? I may be 27, but I have been a firm believer all my life. I believe I would be juvenile if I WASN'T considering all aspects of my faith. Faith envelops everything.
Thank you for your response, I appreciate all the thoughts. But just in case I misunderstood your response and you didn't intend to come across so abruptly, you may want to think before sending next time.
Way to go Kelly!
Sounds like anonymous is doing the judging...not you. :) And really, you can't take to heart something that was cowardly posted. Had this person left their name, then maybe there would be some credibility behind it all.
Remain strong!
wow...i am shocked at that annon. comment...it's like they didn't even read your whole post. We'll have to pray for that person...they sound like they are going through a hard time...maybe feeling judged about something? I wish all people knew what it is like to experiance the joy that comes from knowing that the Lord covers over all of our sins.
I loved your post kelly. I truely believe that it is one of the topics that doesn't get covered as much in church. I wish it would! I hope this post starts something wonderful in the church today!
blessings to you!
Post a Comment