Sunday, March 8, 2009

Thoughts, Part One.

With so many things going on in life right now and so much to write about, I thought I'd hit the superficial end of things first...

Today's discussion is on The Bachelor, of all things. It was a typical season... hot guy, a bunch of beautiful women, and drama. The season ended with the Bachelor, Jason, dumping his fiancée on national television, and asking the runner up to give him a second shot at love. At first glance, this would be considered probably one of the WORST character decisions made on reality television.

However, I have one point, and two completely opposing arguments, to make:

1. Do you really expect someone who has already had one divorce, and has thrown himself into the limelight on a reality TV show to be watched constantly while he pursues 30 separate women at one time, not to change his mind? I am not dissing people who have gotten divorced one bit... I am just assessing the individual situation of this guy and his unique circumstance. (Also, did you WATCH any of Temptation Island? Come on really, that situation was WAY WORSE... I barely made it through one episode before quitting it entirely).

So...

Why I agree with Jason's decision: He was practically on a "game show," and that guy had to make a decision on a certain day, and at a certain time. In real life, it "usually" takes at least 3 more months, if not MANY YEARS to decide if someone is right. So I can understand Jason needing to go with his gut on the first one, Melissa. When you have to make a choice, you make one... and sometimes its not the right one. He gave it a six week shot, which honestly IS long enough to determine whether someone is ultimately WRONG for you, but possibly not long enough to know if someone is RIGHT for you. At that point, Jason decided it wasn't worth the long-term commitment, and chose Molly. (But... breaking up with Melissa, then asking Molly on national TV was NOT COOL, JASON).

Why I disagree with Jason's decision: He said multiple times in the final show that "You have to follow your heart, even though it may hurt people, and many people will not like it... you just have to follow your heart." Really? So, if I'm having feelings for this one guy (and I'm not, don't worry), and decide I married the wrong person, am I supposed to follow my "heart" and get a divorce and go running after another guy? NO! I made a LIFE LONG commitment. That's what happened when we said our vows, and that's even what happened BEFORE our wedding when we promised to marry each other. I promised that whatever life dished out, I would always love, and be honoring and loyal, to my husband. So when Jason PROPOSED to Melissa, then broke up with her on national television, he wasn't only doing Melissa a total injustice, but his future commitments as well. If I were Molly (his NEW pick), I wouldn't let him get by that easily. He'd be working to keep me.

So, there you go. My thoughts on a very trivial, unimportant topic that happened to go a bit deeper.

1 comment:

deena said...

also, it's not real. i mean come on, like you said, it's like a game show. the editors encourage people and the cameras work to find angles and "story lines". what bugs me is that they bill it as "reality." what woman in her mind would allow someone who they might be about to marry and that they "love" date a bunch of other women? who would be crazy enough to believe that this guy isn't sleeping or almost sleeping with 3 other gals the day before he sleeps with her. on the show, the one who is not picked is always shocked. i just wish they wouldn't say it's reality. real life is not this way but i think it subtly trains people to think that all that happened was okay. you know, as long as you "follow your heart."

i guess i have have had some experience lately with a girl friend that makes all this hit close to home. that self-fulfillment is the most important thing. you are so right about the commitment kelly! definitely not easy but so right.