Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Blankets.

On Sunday, I drove to Seattle to see my Grandparents, and visit some friends. As I traveled south, I just had a weird feeling. First off, my engine was smoking as I stopped in Conway to get coffee. But there was more to my feelings of uncertainty, and I just couldn't figure out what it was. I at least called Aaron, who reassured me that if all fluid levels in my car were fine, then I would be ok continuing on my trip.

So I headed south, and had a great time visiting everyone!

I was stopped for dinner at the Lockwoods as the snow began to pour. I didn't really think it looked that bad until I was out driving in it. Visibility was terrible. The flakes were large, and coming down very heavily. In addition, the slush on the roads affected tire traction, and the stupid drivers on the road affected the safety of my car and small baby in the backseat.

I continued north, and witnessed some of the worst driving conditions I've actually driven in. If I wasn't careful to drive in the same tire ruts everyone else had, I could just hit slush and completely lose control. On top of that, going at a high speed with heavy snow made me completely dizzy.

As I hit the foothills south of Bellingham, I began to see multiple cars pulled over on the side of the road, and a few collisions. I pressed on, doing my best job to drive well.

Then a song came on the radio. Not my favorite tune in the world, but the words of the song really hit me.

"All things bright and beautiful You are
All things wise and wonderful You are
In my darkest night, You brighten up the skies
A song will rise

I will sing a song of hope
Sing along
God of heaven come down
Heaven come down
Just to know that You are near is enough
God of heaven come down, heaven come down

All things new
I can start again
Creator, God
Calling me Your friend
Sing praise, my soul
To the Maker of the skies
A song will rise

I will sing a song of hope
Sing along
God of heaven come down
Heaven come down
Just to know You and be loved is enough
God of heaven come down, heaven come down

I listened to the words as the snow blanketed everything around me. It covered my car, the trees, the wrecked cars, the road, the hills and houses in the distance.

And I thought to myself, "God covers us like this snow." He covers everything, good and bad.

Just as the snow falls, blanketing everything around us, so does God in our wrecked world. Just as the snow brightens up the sky, so does God in our hearts. Just as the snow settles on the earth, God settles on all creation, making Himself known. He makes things new, and gives things hope that had no hope.

It was a great moment in the midst of such chaos around me!

2 comments:

Me... said...

Wow! i'm glad you got home okay, that would be a rather scary drive home...

great thoughts! so true...

Ali Workentin said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Kelly. What a great reminder to me that God is here and surrounds me every minute of every day.

Also glad that you both made it home safe and sound.