Tuesday, June 29, 2010

American Honey

Lady Antebellum has a great song out called "American Honey" that talks about growing up nice and slow in the country. Lately I have realized I am not actually the city girl I once thought I was... in fact I am quite the opposite. I love hiking, camping, picnics, lemonade, hearing the wind through leafy trees, and the idea of having clotheslines and a treefort in a backyard with no end.

As I raise my kids, I also picture what they will look back on someday, once they are grown up and have moved on to wherever life takes them. What will they remember? Will it be sitting down to practice their ABC's, or will it be running through the sand and water at the beach? I sure hope we end up playing and singing and running around so much that they hardly remember the moments we have spent disciplining them, "teaching" them, and cleaning.

There is a constant pressure in my head, and whether its peer pressure or just my own personal agenda, the fact is that its there. The idea that my kids need to be geniuses, or pro athletes, or amazing entertainers... the pressure of turning my kids into phenoms.

The truth is that none of that matters. My kids will be whoever they turn out to be regardless of whether or not they are reading at the age of three. I could fill out our chore chart all I want, but it is more important to allow Ian to be a kid. He will have to grow up soon enough.

I want my kids to grow up nice and slow, and only feel the pressure to be themselves and find their true potential in whatever they enjoy. Call me old fashioned, but I just want my kids to be kids. :)

3 comments:

Me... said...

You're right, there is a lot of pressure out there and even competition between friends on who's kid reaches what milestone first and which one can do the coolest thing yada yada yada... We do need to let our kids be kids but continue to gently teach them at the appropriate level.
Great thoughts Kelly, I wish the boys could run on the beach and play in the water together, It would be great watch the mischief they could get themself into together :)

kel said...

same here! oh, that day will hopefully come soon... miss ya!

Ali Workentin said...

Kelly

You are a great mom! Just love those kids and let them be the little ones that they are. Would love to see pictures of them.

Hope you and Aaron have a great summer! Praying and thinking of you guys as you make decisions and continue on life's journey.