*First of all, I finally looked up the definition of the word "meme." It means "Any idea or behavior that can pass from one person to another by learning or imitation." I had always just assumed it meant something like that, but had to make sure before I used it. I've always been fine just not knowing the exact definitions of words, but I've made up my mind to start looking up EVERYTHING. Its one thing to know how to spell it (I am the champion), but quite another to know precisely what it means!
*The reason this is a meme from Christie is because as of late, she has begun to do "bullet posts" a.k.a. write her posts in very easy to understand lists. I've enjoyed reading her blog lately... she and I went to the same church for quite a long time and haven't seen each other in a while, so it has been so great to get a glimpse into her life through her blog. And she has the cutest little baby blump ever. :)
*Aaron is sick-ish so he's in bed, which is why I'm up blogging. (Funny, I just realized Christie is also married to an "Aaron.") And Ana goes down for bed at 9pm, but I squeeze a 10pm dream-feed in before I go to bed, and "Voila"... she sleeps till 8am! Actually, she'd sleep longer if I let her! (And yes, I know not all babies are like that... I try not to tell other moms how long I get to sleep at night).
*I really love my life. There are always small worries, fears, irritations, you name it. But lately I have been looking at the panoramic snapshot of my life and really, I'm living large. I have a roof over my head, food in the fridge AND pantry, a husband, two kids, and JUST enough money to pay bills and occasionally buy little extras like a bleach pen. :)
*Thanksgiving and Christmas. The over-indulgent holidays. I love seeing that more and more people are being frugal. For many, its simply because their money is tight. For others (like my kind-of-sister Abbey), its a Christian-based principle of really thinking about what we spend money on and whether we need it or not... even in GIVING gifts! (The other OBVIOUS Christian based principle is the fact that Christmas is about CHRIST, and not WALMART.) I know so many people this Christmas will spend WAY too much on gifts, food, decorations... but if at least 2 more people each year see through the consumerism into the true meaning of Christmas because I have said something, I feel I've done my part.
*That said, its WONDERFUL to give, and WONDERFUL to receive, don't get me wrong!... but where is your heart? That's what matters. Is it a heart of greed, or a heart of thankfulness?
*Speaking of greed, I think I figured it out. We'll see if my argument connects and makes sense. Lately I realized I am a chocolate and ice cream addict (actually, I didn't realize it lately... I realized it about 27 years ago). I can't stop. Some days, I have a bowl after lunch, AND a bowl after dinner. And if you sneak in a chocolate or two each day, those are a lot of fatty calories just waiting to make me obese later in life! So as a start, for the past week I have completely given up both... chocolate and ice cream are out of my diet. I have said its only until New Years Eve, but we'll see. I feel pretty good, like the desire isn't really there anymore. I slipped up ONCE at our little friend Maddie's birthday party with a mini chocolate cupcake, but that's IT! For me, that is amazing. So, connecting it with greed, I think I realized I am a greedy person. I like to say I don't want anything, but on the inside there are major things I want, so much that when the holiday has come and gone, I am utterly disappointed. SO, I am starting this greed problem by giving up ice cream and chocolate. I figure if I can give up such ultimate greedy temptations in my life, I can begin to battle the true problem. Maybe I'll stop wanting, and start wanting to give.
*You can see I am not pointing fingers. Just wanted to make that clear. :)
3 comments:
loved this post! =) we too try not to give give a lot of gifts...sometimes it is time, but all in all we love it!
hey, we should encourage each other on the food thing...holidays are going to be rough!
Kelly, this is Stefanie Grosz, now Baker :) Not sure if you remember me from camp, but I have been catching up on your blog. I have been telling myself for 2 months that I am on a "less sugar, less carbs" diet...but not really calling it a diet. I don't think I have actually been eating less of anything...just telling myself that I am! I think I can, I think I can...
Stefanie, of COURSE I remember you! Now that I know you have a blog, I'll be checking it! :) I feel ya on the less sugar, less carbs thing. Its just good to eat in moderation, eh. Great to hear from you!
Post a Comment