So, after stopping briefly at Lowe's, we decided to venture to a place Aaron and I had never been before... Old Country Buffet (and yes Katie, I DID eat the non-organic, yummy food!). I called back to Ian that we were going to "the buffet" and explained to him that he could pick out anything he wanted. We almost opted to go somewhere else, since I wasn't sure how much I'd eat and the prices are a bit high for us, but we sacrificed the budget for a little fun.
The kids couldn't keep still. At which point we realized Ian had needed a potty break for quite a while. But even after that, he seriously couldn't keep still. He was simply ecstatic and giddy to dine at a place such as this. (my words, not his).
We let the kids pick the table, then we all went up and showed the kids EVERYTHING. Goodness how their eyes lit up. I guess I remember life like that... I loved potlucks and anywhere I got to choose the food. So we grabbed plates, and loaded them up with whatever the kids wanted. Ian had pizza, applesauce, rice, and chips. Ana had popcorn shrimp (I lied and told her it was chicken), peas and corn, carrots, cantaloupe, and honeydew. I guess I must have steered her eating choices a bit.... haha! Both kids thoroughly enjoyed and gulped their chocolate milk.
As we ate, the stress appeared and just kept increasing. The kids were wired, Aaron and I couldn't hear each other over the kids, and I just wanted time with my husband. I'm also huge on discipline at the table (and life in general), so it was driving me off the wall. After a few frustrating minutes of this, I realized the mistake I made. We were there for the KIDS. We weren't on a date, we weren't fine dining, and we weren't with anyone who expected us to be perfect. Almost immediately, I gave in and enjoyed their company. I giggled with them, talked to them about their dessert, made up games to get them to eat their food, and *poof* I turned into a completely different parent. (which also helped Aaron enjoy the rest of his meal)
To jump to the end, the rest of the trip turned out perfect. We even sprinted through the Target parking lot with careless abandon on the way to our car. Our kids are seriously fast. The kids were non-compliant here and there, but overall, I felt like we were "that family who actually spends time and enjoys each other." It felt good, and there should be more of that. I think all moms to some extent get caught up in the "getting things done, making things happen" mentality of life, and we don't allow ourselves to simply enjoy. Or maybe its just me... but I feel somehow I'm not alone in this. :)
Here are the results of quality family time...


3 comments:
Thank you for sharing this...I realized tonight, that I am the mom who sits and BARKS at her child. We had gone (boys and I)to supper at our Church...Kellen wasn't going to eat, but I got one bite of everthing in and then let him run! I tried to remember to keep my "barking" to only items of safety concern...and we all had a better time ;)
Kelly you came to a great conclusion...relaxing as a parent is good at times. Yes we need to discipline our children and expect good behavior but there are times when we, the parents, need to relax and just enjoy our time with our children.
you are a miracle daily kel. classic kelly story. classic pics.
Post a Comment