Friday, April 22, 2011

Uprooting and Replanting.


In 2004, I graduated college, married Aaron, and uprooted my entire life. I had a home, family, amazing friends, favorite landmarks... literally everything I knew I left behind to start a new life here in Blaine. Goodness I understood what it MEANT to be uprooted, but never knew how it would feel. Lonely. Isolated. Useless. Tired. But hopeful.

As I began my so-called "new life" in Blaine, it took a while for it to really feel like home. I seriously resisted, although not very many people knew I SO wanted to move back to my hometown. I remember in 2008, four years into living here, I was heading home from a family function up on the hill east of downtown Blaine. As I reached the final view before descending into downtown Blaine, I looked up.

Rays of sun emerged from behind the clouds, and poured out onto the city. The bay and the islands in the distance glistened in the warmth of the sun, and "I Can Only Imagine" started playing on the radio. I quickly checked my mirrors and stopped at the top of the hill, and enjoyed a few seconds of pure joy before a car pulled out onto the road behind me. Didn't they know I was having a moment?!

Still, I shivered in awe of the beauty of this place, and realized this was my new place to love... this was my home. God moved me here. As long as I choose to follow where God is moving, He will make a home for me.

Which lands me exactly where I am now. Every person, church, community, and activity, that has been part of my life before and after moving to Blaine has been essential to who I am today. I value the people I have encountered, grown close to, and I value the people and places I have moved away from. We are all part of God's story. As I move on, parts of my life beautifully unfold.

I don't really know how to end this. Its not like the story's over. But I know where I am is where God wants me, and I am planted in a church, in a city, and in a community where I can thrive. The contentment and joy I feel knowing this is sometimes overwhelming. (which I would like to express in a monologue...)

I guess when you know you are fully seeking the will of God, something happens to your heart. I can't really explain it... its much easier to just believe, and experience it.

And that is all.

No comments: