Monday, January 31, 2011

30 Days of Blogging... Day Five

A picture of somewhere you've been.
I've always gazed at mountains, dreaming of someday enjoying the view from the summit. Last summer I finally made the first step toward my dream! Aaron and I took off for an overnight stay on Mt. Baker. We didn't summit... I wanted to be easy on myself and take baby steps in my dream of scaling mountains. So we hiked the ridge the whole way up to climber's camp! As you can see in the picture, it looks like you're RIGHT THERE, when in fact you're approximately a seven hour hike away from the peak. I probably could have done it, but like I said... baby steps.

It was a PERFECTLY clear day, and we hung out most of the first day in our shorts and t-shirts! At the top of a mountain! Ahh... just writing about this makes me want to go back.

**My favorite part of the hike was when a group of hikers passed us withOUT their packs on, and someone remarked to me, "Wow, you're brave... I ditched my pack a long time ago!" Yes, those things are heavy... but with my thunder thighs anything's possible. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you go up the south side from Baker Lake? Have you been up that trail to Park Butte fire lookout in summer? It is STUNNING!

Perhaps we plan a good day trip with the kiddos this summer. Not to summit, though. ;-)