

Just curious which picture looks more natural.
Two nights ago, Aaron and I watched Food, Inc.
Now, to preface what I'm about to say, I have to tell you for probably the duration of our marital existence, we've done an "ok" job of eating healthy. We eat our fruits and vegetables, exercise (in moderation), eat organic when we can afford it, and usually pick non-fat or low-fat varieties of pretty much anything. Of course, there is the occasional trip to McDonald's with the kids, or any number of restaurants in Bellingham when we shop for the cafe...
But I realized, after watching the movie, I was kidding myself. We had made ourselves think we ate healthy, when really many choices we were making with our food might eventually have negative repercussions.
Back to the movie, "Food, Inc."
When I think of where animals are raised to be slaughtered, I generally hear a happy melody in my head, and cows, chickens, and pigs roam free. Sometimes I would guess they break out into song, but I just don't know.
Yet, here come the feed lots. Cows forced to stand side by side, munching on corn of all things, no grass in sight, and if they misbehave, workers get them to move by pushing them with forklifts or other inhumane equipment. (Don't get me started on the mistreatment of workers).
Then there are the chickens who live in windowless henhouses and yes, eat corn. Instead of maturing in 78 or so days, chickens are bred and modified to mature in 46 days. Huh? Modified chickens? They also gain so much weight that their tiny chicken legs can't support their double-D breasts. The poor things take roughly three steps, then collapse from exhaustion. I'm sure God is shaking his head, saying "Nope, didn't create that."
There's also a whole other issue with genetically modified corn, soybeans, and who knows what else!!!
To clarify, I am absolutely NOT an animal activist.
Yes, I do love animals. I think they make great pets, are beautiful in the wild, are helpful in many situations, and some are a little scary. Like chihuahuas.
And yes, I care that these chickens' homes don't have windows, and that the cows don't get treated well.
But what I care most about is... what the heck are they eating? CORN! CORN, corn corn! Which I must admit is delicious. But the meat you find at a local grocery store eats GENETICALLY MODIFIED corn. Mmm... sounds delicious.
So, moving on.
I'm not about to jump on the organic, natural, grass-fed, non-genetically-modified diet just yet. I have two kids to raise on a limited budget, and we have JUST started to tithe, finally, after years of not contributing to our own church. We don't have an extra $50-$100 a month to shell out to pay for the increase in cost due to choosing organic food.
And you can't deny those coupon savings are AMAZING, despite most of it containing high fructose corn syrup or some other genetically modified ingredient.
So, here are the first steps our family is taking to live a healthier life:
1. More vegetarian dinners. Rice, black beans and broccoli filled us up quite well last night.
2. For lactose intolerant Kelly, Organic Rice Milk is the new liquid of choice. And its soy-free.
3. Organic cereal, but only when its on sale. Otherwise we'll stick with cheerios or oatmeal for health benefits. You also can't beat peanutbutter or banana pancakes! I'm also a fan of bran muffins, but I'm still looking for the right recipe.
4. Organic yogurt and milk when possible. We are going to try to do our local dairy in Lynden as much as possible. However, we'll have to watch cost.
5. Local beef, pork, and chicken. Grass-fed, happy cows and pigs that eat what they're supposed to eat!
6. FARM SHARE. Some of our friends are going to split a farm share with us from June to October. Aaron and I might try to do this other times of the year as well! Farm shares are a more cost effective way of eating organic produce, plus you get to support local farmers and businesses. We're all about supporting local!
So there you have it, my bandwagon.
To also clarify, I am not making this choice for appearance, to appear perfect or that I am making better choices than anyone. I've simply been convicted (or as I've been saying, "ruined) to eat healthier and local for the sake of my own family. There are so many things in my life that need improving... I might as well improve the quality of the food that sustains me. :)
kel
6 comments:
Yea!! Jason and I are trying to eat healthier and more sustainably as well. It's amazing how much better you feel. I think we're lucky because we get organic meat from Montana (it is fed corn, though). But another option is to find a local organic cattle rancher and find 4-5 families to split an entire cow.
From a health perspective, it's really important to have organic meat and dairy, especially for children (xenoestrogens + children = bad combination of precocious puberty and increased risk of breast cancer when they grow up).
If you can't afford to eat everything organic (I honestly don't know who can), look up "the dirty dozen" and try to eat those things organic - they are the ones that have the most pesticides, heavy metals and other junk.
Okay, that's my two cents. You've inspired me too, Kelly!
YEA!!!
We are totally in this boat, so if you ever want some good blogs that help with ideas, let me know!
Do be aware that many organic meats are also fed soy. It is really hard to find some w/out...thankfully we have friends that raise some, although it costs a pretty penny.
You will find that you can afford more organics in the warmer months-like eggs...you can look into getting them from farms then. It is nice to replace cereal w/these!
You will love farmers markets just for the contact info of where to get great prices from local farmers!
Just making one small change at a time is what it's all about, right?! =) I do miss couponing so much...but I feel AMAZING! =)
Heavenlyhomemakers.com just did a series on how to make Real Food stretch, you would like it! =)
Hope you enjoy your new adventure in all this...it is fun (after the overwhelming part wears off! hehe!)!!!
Blessings!
totally with you sister! it's exciting to think of our kids growing with with a head start on a healthy diet. don't forget about quinoa...trader joes has the red which i think is the most healthy. we're doing the same...more vegetarian and good meat when we do eat it. btw, all that seafood in our Christmas paella was wild. expensive, but part of that trade which is why we were so excited! :)
Ditto here too! Love this post Kelly! There are so many options now- and since the word is out- we can all help each other. That movie was HARD to watch, but eye opening.
Good luck!
Becky D.
Yay! Thanks girls, you are my new healthy eating resource people. :)
I'm glad you are making small changes - it can otherwise be overwhelming! So glad you are moving on from soy milk! We live in a great area to eat well.
Post a Comment