Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Parenting 101

I learn something every day about my kids, and about myself. Lately I have been thinking a lot about my parenting skills (or lack thereof) and my competitive nature. Two things that don't really get along if you think about it. Everything I do with my kids, with my home, and with myself, I want to do 110%. I want to do it all perfect.

Problem is, I am not perfect... so how can I be a perfect parent? Not possible!

So, here are my Imperfect Parenting tips:

1. Let the baby cry. Its ok to go to the bathroom BEFORE you rush in to grab the baby so the toddler sleeping in the same room won't wake up.

2. Leave the baby on the floor or a safe surface while you make yourself breakfast. She will not suffer developmentally if left there for a few minutes.

3. Let the toddler cry before you go wake him up. He may not be awake!

4. Curious George is on at 8am. This will give you time to blog.

5. Don't get mad when your kids spill stuff!

6. Laugh a lot, because life is funny. And teach your kids to be comedians... it makes life more interesting.

7. Don't rush the day so much, thinking constantly about the next step or what to make for dinner. Life is happening now!

8. If you have to battle the decision to clean the clutter or clean the germs, choose the latter. The clutter can't be stopped. Germs can. I know... shocking.

9. Knowledge is good, but basic life skills are greater. Teach that kid to put his shoes on before he learns where Africa is. He'll learn that in school. (Ian finally decided to put his own shoes on yesterday!)

10. Hug and kiss your kids. Its really better than anything else you can do as a parent. Hug and kiss your spouse, too, while you're at it.

And there you have it, my top ten tips from a mediocre mom. :)

6 comments:

CMC said...

I love these! Definitely things to remember for the future :)

Me... said...

Good tips...
I often struggle with that and get down on myself for not doing things perfectly, even though I know I am not perfect person. It's funny how we expect to do things right when We all know so well that the human race is so imperfect. We just have to focus on the positive parts of our parenting and do the best we can in the other areas. That's what I am learing right now,(or trying to learn)
You're a wonderful mom :)

Our growing family said...

I think this is a big reason God gives us kids! =) Just call yourself a recovering perfectionist!

Anonymous said...

You are not mediocre, and I am a recovering Perfectionist myself! YOur list is great!

kel said...

Thanks Martha. Hey you should start a blog so I can stalk you too. :) Haha.

Ali Workentin said...

Kelly

Your list is great not only for Mom's but also for us Grandparents who tend to be on the perfectionistic side (or at least hoping to be).

I remember one thing someone told me and that is that it is OK to leave dishes in the sink and go play Lego's. The dishes will be there when you are done playing and your child will remember the times you played with him/her which is always a good thing.