Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I am no Supermom That's For Sure

But I do know one thing... I gots mad skizills at making baby food!

So far, I've made Squash (easy), Bananas (easier), and Peas (hard-ish). I just boiled them till JUST ready (you don't want to boil out all the delicious nutrients!), then blended them with hot water in the blender (food processor would have been MUCH easier, but its tucked behind our microwave at the moment and I'm short). If you're planning on doing this, make sure the consistency is like a super-thick milkshake (only its veggies, and your toddler won't go crazy over it). With things like peas, celery, green beans... things a baby can choke on... you'll want to mash the food through a wire sieve so you just get the pureed part. I even did that, then threw the leftover stuff back into the blender to be sure I got it all. Then, take a CLEAN ice cube tray, spoon in the purée, (that's for you, Josée) and freeze! Each cube is exactly an ounce.

I calculated at least the squash, and I saved 5 cents per ounce. Of course, there is the electricity from the stove and blender, and the water to boil the veggies in... but hey, at least I know what's in my baby's food, and its FRESH! Of course, you could also just buy organic veggies and fruit, but then you don't save the extra cents.

And this is me in the early morning hours drinking tea. Would you believe this:Turns into this:
With just a little eyeliner?

3 comments:

deena said...

you are hilarious. can't wait to see you guys this weekend!!

amy+3 said...

kelli you crack me up :)

i'm guessing you won't remember me but i've known melissa for years, your brother shot my sister's wedding, and i met you a couple times, so whenever i check melissa's blog out i usually pop over to see how you will make me laugh.

and since i did this exact same thing last week i was able to laugh especially hard. only my trick for getting the food in the trays was to pour it into a ziploc bag, and then cut off the corner. no spoons required! :)

kel said...

I remember EVERYBODY! Especially the few wonderful friends I've met from Gold Bar. :)