Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Surrender.


My daughter Ana is 6 months old. She is the sweetest little thing. She accepts our family's pace of life so readily. She accepts Ian's punches and loud noises with laughter and coo's. She tells me when she's tired by rubbing her eyes, and tells me when she's hungry by yelling like a maniac.

Tonight, as I held her in my arms, trying to get her to sleep, I realized something about babies. You know when you are trying to soothe a baby, and she will just not relax? She'll squirm, arch her back, grunt... do anything just to NOT be in the position she is in. But once she submits to my cradled arms, my gentle rocking, soft humming (which happens to be "The Call" by Regina Spektor), she gently floats into a sound sleep.

Our life, in relation to God's will, is basically the same thing. You can fight it, you can resist, but ultimately, God will cradle you, urge you, and embrace you, so you will follow His perfect will. He knows what is best. He knows who you are and how you'll react and He knows how to use you in the right way. You'll naturally fall into His will, just as a baby falls asleep in her mother's arms.

Why fight it? I think so many of us want to make our own decisions. Or we carry burdens, or the weight of a decision or situation, on our shoulders. It is SO MUCH EASIER to submit and surrender all of it to God, knowing He not only has a handle on US, but on EVERYTHING around us.

That alone is why I sleep so well at night.

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Well said!

Mar-T said...

So every time I read your blog I think, "I should get to know her better, so you wanted come over and play?"

kel said...

Haha, I just checked your blog. December 3rd was your last post??? :) Sheesh.

Of course, let's get together. We do live 3 blocks away from each other after all.