Monday, October 15, 2007

A Moment in Time

Stealing this from Becky, who stole from Ellen. :)

10 Years Ago
I was sixteen, somehow enjoying one of the last of my undeniably awkward early teen years. I was a sophomore at Meadowdale High School, beginning my journey as a competitive soccer player. I LOVED youth group at Sunrise Christian Fellowship. A few close friends through that were Bridget, Scooty, and Nate. I think I somehow managed to have very high self-esteem, despite my braces, unplucked eyebrows, unstyled hair, and tendency to wear soccer shorts at all times. No wonder I didn't have a boyfriend until the later years of high school. :) It was fortunately the year that despite the lack of any romance, found SO much fulfillment in my friendships, my youth group and how it fully inspired me in my faith, and my knack for making other girls look silly on the soccer field. I think I made a few guys look silly, too. (Bragg bragg). At the end of sophomore year, I got my braces off. If wasn't till a year later I started plucking my eyebrows, and had many comments afterward from women telling me "Kelly, I love how you are growing up to be such a great young woman of God." I still can't quite figure out how plucking my eyebrows makes me a strong woman of God.

20 Years Ago
Six years old, top of my kindergarten class. I remember being SO proud that my teacher would ask me to read books to the class during story time. They even sent me to first grade occasionally for some "advanced" reading. Oddly enough, another one of my awkward phases which I call "Patch Girl." No, not cabbage patch. Eye patch. They diagnosed me with a Left Lazy Eye when I was five. Prescription: eye patch. Only not just any eye patch. My mom would cut out construction paper ovals, and color on them. For Easter, I would have a very colorful Easter egg, for Christmas it was a tree... you get the point. Fortunately, my Mom let me not wear my glasses in my school picture, which resulted in squinty eyes in the picture because I was so used to glasses. Or because I was smiling so hard that I didn't have my glasses off. (This was also the year of the "almost mullet." AFter which I cut my hair short for some reason, and THEN grew my hair long by FIFTH GRADE! Why did it take me so long??!!)

30 Years Ago
I was -4. My brother was enjoying being a single child, my Mom was starting to deal with cancer, and my Dad was working hard like usual. Fortunately, my Mom got better, and my Dad's not working as hard now. Aside from that, I don't have much more to say about this time in my life.

2 comments:

Abbey said...

Oh Kelly, I need to send you a "16ish" pick of you and Scottie in mud... One of the awesome Sunrise Youth days, and Oh I sympathize with the eye patch time of your life... My mom wasn't as creative on the designs, but... I need to do this blog too... Fun memories to somewhat remember with you and hear about you...

e said...

I love you Sophomore Kelly!! :) (And I love you now too.)